Lyophilization Development R & D Scientist
Argonaut Manufacturing Services Inc. is a contract manufacturing organization (CMO) headquartered in Carlsbad, CA. The company is dedicated to serving highly innovative companies in the biopharmaceutical and molecular diagnostics industries. Argonaut is a full service, cost-effective partner, providing complete solutions in the areas of formulation, filling and final kitting of reagents and consumables. In July of 2018, Argonaut acquired LyoGen, a leader in dose-specific lyophilization capabilities for the diagnostics markets. Argonaut provides quality and regulatory expertise to assure the highest in quality manufacturing and supply chain excellence.
Argonaut is seeking a motivated chemist or biochemist with strong RT and DNA amplification process optimization skills for the role of Lyophilization Development R&D Scientist. Experience with lyophilization is preferred but not required; the right candidate will be a natural problem-solver with a talent for optimizing assays. Lyophilization is one of the hottest technologies in life sciences and molecular diagnostics, thanks to the growing demand for point-of-care devices, cost reduction, and ambient storage. Argonaut is fortunate to have one of the world’s leading lyophilization experts leading our team and working with clients worldwide to develop and produce lyophilized plates, cartridges, vials, and our proprietary LyoDose™ beads. This is an incredible career development opportunity for the right person to learn from a world leader in modern lyophilization techniques and solutions. Take advantage of this rare opening to develop these valuable skills.
Position and Scope
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the incumbent in this role will be accountable for developing and supporting all activities associated with the research and development phase of Argonaut’s lyophilization program.
- Based on client requirements, develop and communicate a strategy for the successful lyophilization of the client’s reagent
- Optimize DNA amplification assays such as PCR, LAMP, qPCR, etc. for lyophilization by selecting reagents such as excipients, buffers, etc.
- Validate lyophilization conditions by running DNA amplification experiments
- Play a supportive role in optimizing a client’s final package (including cartridges, etc.) to be compatible with lyophilized products
- Develop processes that are well-documented, robust, and can be easily transferred to large-scale cGMP production
- Work actively with manufacturing to solve challenges in the production environment related to specification discrepancies, material dispositions and process changes
- Work actively with Project Managers to provide process development services to clients
- Provide lyophilization technical training to staff
- This position may include occasional weekend and after-hours work, as needed
- Formulate robust lyophilization conditions for client reagents
- Develop robust bead formation protocols (using manual methods) that can readily be transferred to automated processes
- Actively plan all development packaging activities with operation personnel
- Take ownership of Argonaut’s lyophilization development program R&D phase
Position Requirements and Experience
- Advanced degree in a relevant field (Biology, Computational Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or similar) or a bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of relevant work experience in a similar industry
- Demonstrated technical/subject matter experience in molecular biology and immunochemistry
- Experience with lyophilization is preferred but not required
- Experience in reagent formulation R&D, DNA amplification, and material inspection methods
- Excellent laboratory skills and the ability to set-up and run reverse transcription and DNA amplification experiments. This will include the ability to optimize DNA amplification reactions through experimental design and execution
- Experience with cGMP manufacturing and SOPs preferred
- Ability to multi-task, handle multiple projects at one time, and to change priorities based on business needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal, team and relationship management skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
Argonaut Manufacturing Services, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability, or any other class protected by Federal, State or local laws. Argonaut complies with all employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and all must have the authorization to work in the US.
Apply for this Job
Fill out the form below. When selecting “jobs/career”, a section to upload your CV/Resume will appear.